Re: Domain of :key

On 31 Mar 2013, at 21:16, Mo McRoberts <Mo.McRoberts@bbc.co.uk> wrote:

> Right, but there are a couple of different issues here.
>
> Publishing an alternative ontology which differs only in having a broader range isn't an especially useful use of anybody's time, particularly if the narrow range of the original ontology is specified because nobody thought it might be useful in the broader case, rather than because it fundamentally alters the effects when used with the classic use-cases.
>
> Given the generic nature of the cert and key ontologies, it makes little sense to consider changes solely within the context of WebID (as distinct from considering whether they might cause *problems* for WebID). It helps nobody to have thirty-seven different ontologies for representing in more or less the same way something which is fundamentally defined externally.
>
> I proposed broadening the range to rdfs:Resource because I can think of a range of cases where keys "belong" to things which aren't usefully described as foaf:Agents.

http://xmlns.com/foaf/spec/#term_Agent
"The Agent class is the class of agents; things that do stuff."

> For example, a server listening for SSH connections has its own identity (the so-called "host key").  Once could _theoretically_ claim that the server was a foaf:Agent operating on behalf of the owner/administrator, but if you do that you risk diluting the meaning of foaf:Agent to the extent that it becomes utterly meaningless.

No, it is a thing that does stuff. There is no problem with calling your web server an agent.  Browsers are called user agents, presumably because there are server agents. There is a whole field of programming called agent oriented programming.

> Similarly, I have applications which have their own client certificates for communicating with servers: these are issued specifically to the application so that it can authenticate autonomously with an identity which is deliberately distinct from any human involved in its development and operation. Again, describing a webapp as a foaf:Agent strikes me as dubious stretching of the term 'agent', there (compared to, say, an application which is operating under the "direction" of an operator).

No there is no problem with that. foaf:Agent is more general that human agents, and so you can give a webid to a software
agent and relate it via the cert:key to a public key. No problem.

> Does that clarify things?

It does. It strenthens the argument that we don't need to go beyond foaf:Agent. That is a very general class of things.