Re: Important Change to HTTP semantics re. hashless URIs

Excerpts from Pat Hayes's message of 2013-03-25 04:12:37 +0000:

> On Mar 24, 2013, at 12:39 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>
> > All,
> >
> > Here is a key HTTP enhancement from Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP/1.1): Semantics and Content note from IETF [1].
> >
> > "
> >   4.  If the response has a Content-Location header field and its
> >       field-value is a reference to a URI different from the effective
> >       request URI, then the sender asserts that the payload is a
> >       representation of the resource identified by the Content-Location
> >       field-value.  However, such an assertion cannot be trusted unless
> >       it can be verified by other means (not defined by HTTP).
> > "
> >

> > Implications:
> >
> > This means that when hashless (aka. slash) HTTP URIs are used to denote entities, a client can use value from the Content-Location response header to distinguish a URI that denote an Entity Description Document (Descriptor) distinct from the URI of the Entity Described by said document. Thus, if a client de-references the URI <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Barack_Obama> and it gets a 200 OK from the server combined with <http://dbpedia.org/page/Barack_Obama> in the Content-Location response header, the client (user agent) can infer the following:
>
> I think not quite exactly as you describe it:
>
> > 1. <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Barack_Obama> denotes the real-world entity 'Barack Obama' .
> > 2. <http://dbpedia.org/page/Barack_Obama> denotes the Web Document that describes real-world entity 'Barack Obama' -- by virtue of the fact that the server has explicitly *identified* said resource via the Content-Location header .
>
> I think in fact all it can infer is
>
> 1. <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Barack_Obama> denotes an entity, and
> 2. <http://dbpedia.org/page/Barack_Obama> denotes the Web Document that describes that entity.
sounds to me like enough to connect WebID and WebID profile but it will still take second request to get that profile, just like 303 pattern... apologies if I miss something!
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/webid/spec/#the-webid-profile