Re: [foaf-protocols] WebID status recap?

On 14 June 2013 17:20, Peter Williams <home_pw@msn.com> wrote:

> When it was written, the public didn't know the meaning of the term
> metadata. Now they do - educated by means of showing privacy
> vulnerabilities specific to a web “founded on” insecure metadata.  And they
> have a good intuition of specifically -”social” class of threat models
> specific to metadata.  They also have a mental model of how vendors,
> contractors and security professionals may be part of the threat (to
> personal privacy invasion); willingly or otherwise.
>
> For a specifically social trust protocol the change in the public’s
> perceptions and education level on the threats they face does changes the
> (scope of the) problem. The freedom box is now perceived to be not so free
> (depending on context); and may be actually rather worthless, unless you
> count the “feel good” factor.
>
> How does WebID - in its updated philosophy - address the newly revealed
> threat of specifically institutional snooping?

WebID is no longer tied to X.509 certs, it's just a linked data identifer.
This is useful for discovery, friending, annotation and a whole host of
other things, one of which is auth.

WebID+TLS is an X.509 based method to use RSA keys to authenticate over TLS.

WebID+WebKeys is a method to use any kind of key to authenticate over any
protocol including javascript/websockets.

WebID Simple (proposed) is a way to identify and authenticate via security
by obscurity

You can add many more auth systems onto this list, as you come up with
them.