Linked Data nuances, exemplified

On 2/18/13 3:13 PM, Michael Hackett wrote:
> It was only when this debate erupted a few months ago, leading me to
> read some of the materials referenced in the posts, that I started to
> understand their purpose. To tell the truth, there are still some
> points that I'm a little unclear on, but this probably isn't the forum
> to delve into them.
Micheal,

Here is a simple example based on URI used in a response I received from
Henry i.e., <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Whiskey#x> .

On the surface:

Paste that URI into the address bar of your browser and you end up with
data (in HTML format) that describes <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Whiskey>.

What does that mean? Superficially, you might assume that
<http://dbpedia.org/resource/Whiskey> and
<http://dbpedia.org/resource/Whiskey#x> denote the same entity. In
reality they don't, since <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Whiskey#x> is
really <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Whiskey#x> due to your browser only
processing <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Whiskey>.

Thus far, my claim can be verified by asking for a description of each
of the following from DBpedia using the following URL pattern:
http://dbpedia.org/describe/?url={DBpedia-Entity-URI> .

Example:
http://dbpedia.org/describe/?url=http://dbpedia.org/resource/Whiskey#x .

Reality:

DBpedia already has a massive collection of hashless HTTP URIs that
denote entities derived from its extraction and processing of content
from Wikipedia. It already denotes an entity using
<http://dbpedia.org/resource/Whiskey>, so if
<http://dbpedia.org/resource/Whiskey#this> denoted the same thing you
should be able to obtain a description of said entity from DBpedia using
one the following methods:

1. go to http://dbpedia.org/fct, click on the "Entity URI Lookup" tab
and then paste in: http://dbpedia.org/resource/Whiskey#this .

2. you can also lookup this SPARQL URL:
http://dbpedia.org/sparql?default-graph-uri=http%3A%2F%2Fdbpedia.org&query=describe+%3Chttp%3A%2F%2Fdbpedia.org%2Fresource%2FWhiskey%23this%3E&format=text%2Frdf%2Bn3&timeout=0&debug=on
.

As you can see <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Whiskey#x> doesn't denote
the same entity denoted by <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Whiskey> .
Basically, I can't effectively use
<http://dbpedia.org/resource/Whiskey#x> and
<http://dbpedia.org/resource/Whiskey> as co-references for the same
entity. Of course, if I generate a batch of owl:sameAs relations across
the DBpedia quad store I could end up with a functional co-reference
that would be understood by an inference engine that understood OWL
semantics.

Conclusion:
You can denote a Web Resource using URI or URL i.e., Name / Address
ambiguity inherent in HTTP URIs doesn't have an adverse effect on either
role. You can't denote real world entities (or resources not of the Web)
which such Name / Address ambiguity -- hence the need for mechanism that
maps the HTTP URI to Name function to a Resource Address function via a
form of indirection such that a Name or Address ultimately gets you to
the same data in the format you desire (typically HTML at first blush).

Excerpt from a note about this by Pat Hayes and Harry Haplin:

"/The end result of this saga of URNs and URLs merging into URIs is that
on the Web there is a single universal identification scheme for both
identifying accessible and non-accessible resources. In this regard the
Web is radically different from previous identification schemes. In
programming languages, an identifier translates into the identity of
some block of memory, even if there is no code that runs at that
location. In other hypertext systems, one assumed that the unique
identifiers were allowing links between accessible documents or some
sort of file. Yet on the Web one can have a URI for the "Eiffel Tower in
itself," such as http://www.example.singandich.org/EiffelTower. This
brings up a new type of problem for users, for if they access that URI,
how do they know it identifies the Eiffel Tower itself and not just a
Web page about the Eiffel Tower?  Assuming it is useful to identify
non-accessible things on the Web using URIs, should we distinguish
between these two types of things and if so, how? Should a URI for "The
Eiffel Tower itself" bear some special marking that makes it different
from a URI that lets one access Web pages about the Eiffel Tower? /"

Links:

1. http://bit.ly/WmKlJ0 -- recent post about SPARQL based reasoning
based on DBpedia .
2.