Re: Problem with Hash based Linked Data URIs

On 16 Feb 2013, at 17:47, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:

> On 2/16/13 6:10 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>>

>> On 15 February 2013 23:43, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> This is a simple FYI that can be added to the collection of material about why Hash based HTTP URIs aren't perfect. Basically, this also relates to the persistence of the warning notice re. Hashless URIs in the WebID spec, at the current time.
>>
>> See: http://bit.ly/XcTP9R .
>>
>> Problem:
>> The SPARQL query results URL resolves to a document bearing the SPARQL query solution (or resultset). As you can see, there's a single column of HTTP URIs that are really Web-scale Super Keys (one of the many powerful aspects of Linked Data). If you click on one of the URIs you won't resolve to the description of the entity denoted by the hash HTTP URI, instead, you'll end up with the entire Good Relations ontology.
>>
>> Hi Kingsley, just trying to understand the problem better.  When I click, http://purl.org/goodrelations/v1#BusinessEntity it takes me to the section of the GR vocab that is related to BusinessEntity (via html anchors).  What should it be doing?
>
> It doesn't do that on Safari. It does so Chrome and I presume Firefox. Irrespective, the client has to load: http://purl.org/goodrelations/v1 . When using a hashless URI you don't have to retrieve <http://purl.org/goodrelations/v1> just to find out about <http://purl.org/goodrelations/v1#BusinessEntity> .

A few points:

  1. Our spec is dealing with WebID profiles, not the generic issue, so please try to find an example that works with Profiles.
  2. The above does not seem to be a problem for the adoption of the GoodRelations ontology
  3. You have the same problem with 303s in another famous vocabulary called foaf. In foaf each foaf vacabulary URI redirects to the foaf spec, which takes just as long to download. So now you have the so called problem of GoodRelations + one redirect for each vocabulary item.

 Essentially it will be easy for me to show you that whatever example you give me you can have the same problem with 303s, + you'll have the redirect slowdown.

 That is why that text remains in the spec.