Re: Refers Or Denotes?

On 2/13/13 2:59 PM, Henry Story wrote:
>> >In either case, you get to the data via indirection. You have two identifiers that get you to the same data. Those identifiers denote different things (or entities).
> yes
>
> <http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/card#i>  k:data :x.
> <http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/card>  k:data :x.
>
> I.e. both URIs have the same k:data.

Yes, that happens by way of indirection, implicit in the style of HTTP
URI. If not, you would have a single URI instead of two.

> And indeed that is exactly what the diagram shows:
>
> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/WebID/raw-file/tip/spec/img/WebID-overview.png
>
> Except that I don't show the second k:data relation, since it would have the same
> subject and object as the :denotes relation for the Personal Profile document, and
> that would clutter the diagram.
>
> Now it may be that the sense relation is a bit more complex that just k:data relation,
> since one could say that some subgraph of the k:data gives the meaning of the
> WebID. Sense determines reference.

We are both plotting paths to the same destination. We simply differ
about how to effectively communicate all of this to a variety of
audience profiles.

Here's a link to a related conversation (last year) on the Ontolog list:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-forum/2012-07/msg00191.html .