Re: Refers Or Denotes?

Henry, my previous reply was whisked off as a personal note before I realized that a more official WG reply was needed. You will get the more official one soon. It will not differ in essential content. We will try to make it clear, in the new RDF specs being written, that 'denotes' and 'refers to' are being used interchangeably to mean the same thing.

However, Kingsley does bring up an excellent point, which is that we do need to carefully distinguish denote/refer-to, on the one hand, from the AWWW terminology of "identify" on the other. What is identified may not be what is referred to, and vice versa; and IRIs may refer even when they don't identify anything.

Pat