Re: Web Identity and Discovery - WebID 1.0

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 4:29 PM, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>wrote:

> On 2/6/13 10:10 AM, Henry Story wrote:

>>> Why do you still have this warning:
>>>
>>> "Implementers are highly encouraged to use hash URIs for the WebID HTTP
>>> URI. Even though 303 redirects have been used in the past, experience has
>>> shown that they can be difficult to deploy and can have an impact on
>>> performance. However WebID Verifiers must not fail when dereferencing
>>> hashless URIs, though they may flag them as potentially impacting on
>>> performance."
>>>
>>> You don't need that piece of confusion. The examples can be hashed based
>>> and just leave it at that.
>>>
>>> I thought this matter was completely closed based on the vote i.e.:
>>>
>>> 1. A WebID is a HTTP URI
>>> 2. Use hash based HTTP URIs in all examples.
>>>
>> yes, but it is still true that there is a cost for the client and for
>> deployment of non hash based URIs, since they require 1 extra
>> dereferencing: ie. one more connection on the network. The speed of light
>> being limited, this is a cost.
>>

> Yes, but doesn't need to be in the spec. People are going to work with
> examples. The examples are the effective route to hash URI utility etc..

I strongly believe that having this notice is very important, since it ties
together fragment identifiers with documents and the fact that #-less URIs
need to rely on 303 redirects. In the end it's just a note, with no impact
on the definition itself, since I've removed the part about verifiers.