Re: Web Identity and Discovery - WebID 1.0

On 6 Feb 2013, at 12:58, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6 February 2013 12:50, Andrei Sambra <andrei.sambra@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 12:47 PM, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On 6 February 2013 12:39, Andrei Sambra <andrei.sambra@gmail.com> wrote:
> As promised, I have updated the spec according to the latest poll results. I've also cleaned it up a little, mainly fixing inconsistencies with some terms.
>
> I would like to ask everyone to take a look and see if everything is ok before we move to WebID-TLS.
>
> Here is the link to the latest version: https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/WebID/raw-file/tip/spec/identity-respec.html
>
> "A WebID is an HTTP URI which uniquely denotes an Agent (Person, Organization, Group, Device, etc.)."
>
> Do we need the work 'uniquely' in there?  I'm slightly unclear on what it means.
>
> It means that the WebID URI is a unique identifier. Maybe I should replace "denotes" with "identifies", though there is no official definition for what "identification" is (hence it's much easier to say denotes, but maybe not as strong).

We used to have "refers". I find that much stronger than "denotes", which is not that widely used. "Identifies" is wrong, because what identifies is the description. So you really want
to say that the description tied to the WebID in the profile document uniquely identifies the agent. But that is talk for the profile section.

Essentially what is missing in the Profile section is the statment that the
Profile document must uniquely describe the referent of the WebID.