Re: Domain of :key

On 1 Apr 2013, at 21:45, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:

> On 4/1/13 3:15 PM, Henry Story wrote:
>> We can add new relations. Just let us know what you want. I am not sure why you want to merge two relations. You have not explained this yet, nor have you given a full use case.
>>
>> As far as X509 goes if you look at it it is relating a DN and its subject alternative names to a public key.
>> If you think of that semantically that can be modelled as
>>
>> <> a X509Cert;
>>    foaf:primaryTopic<ldap://DN=....>  ;
>>  <ldap://DN=....>  owl:sameAs<https://my.domain.example/joe#me>;
>>     cert:key [ a cert:RSAPublicKey;
>>                cert:modulus "...";
>>                cert:exponent "..." ] .
>
> Why not:
>
> <#dnReferentID>
> <#hasKey> <#PublicKey> .
> <#sanReferentID>
> <#hasKey> <#PublicKey> .
>
> <#hasKey>
> a owl:InverseFunctionalProperty, owl:ObjectProperty .

If  <#hasKey> owl:sameAs cert:key, then what you wrote is equivalent
to what I wrote above.

Indeed the owl:InverseFunctionalProperty is essential, and it would not be true for a
cert:signedWith relation that we should probably coin. Because hopefully you can sign
more than one document with a key! The same would be true with a cert:encryptedWith relation,
as one would like to encrypt any number of documents with the same key.

Both something along the lines of a cert:signedWith and a cert:encryptedWith relatinon would
be very useful to have in the cert ontology. But they are clearly not going to be equivalent
to the cert:key relation ( or your <#hasKey> ).

> What's critical to WebID is the InverseFunctionalProperty relation semantics which help appreciate the optimal domain for <#hasKey> .

yes. Agree.

> Conclusion: we need to cater for the fact that public keys can (and will) be associated with all sorts of things (owl:Thing entity types) for a plethora of reasons. Thus, it's best veer away from generic terms (and resulting intuitions) when the usage purpose is very specific.

yes. I am in favor of adding relations such as signedWith or encryptedWith to the ontology.

Henry