Re: WebID questions -- was: [dane] Call for Adoption: "Using Secure DNS to Associate Certificates with Domain Names For S/MIME"

On 27 Sep 2012, at 11:45, Ben Laurie <benl@google.com> wrote:

> On 27 September 2012 10:02, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:

>>> This is the point at which the Nascar problem occurs: selecting the certificate.
>>
>> ( Background of NASCAR problem for those new to this
>> http://factoryjoe.com/blog/2009/04/06/does-openid-need-to-be-hard/ )
>>
>> No, that is not the problem. Most people nowadays have 2 or 3 payment cards, which they can choose from when going into a shop to pay for something. Choosing one among a handful personas is easy when logging in somewhere. And most users would not have more than a handful of certificates to select from when going to a web site.
>
> You can't have it both ways: if privacy is protected by using multiple
> certificates, you cannot also restrict people to using 2 or 3.

Having multiple identities is one aspect of protecting privacy: it allows you to choose which persona you use on which web site - if you want to log in that is: anonymity could be considered the null certificate.

There is no need to restrict people to using 2 or 3. There is I believe a limit on how many identities people wish to have. The rest is up to browser vendors to improve the User Experience.

What protects privacy is your
1. your browser asking you who you want to be identified when going to a site
2. your browser showing you who you are logged in - as the attached prototype by Aza Raskin shows