Re: WebID questions -- was: [dane] Call for Adoption: "Using Secure DNS to Associate Certificates with Domain Names For S/MIME"

On 9/26/12 1:10 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:

Type fixed edition for sake of absolute clarity about my response, as
edited inline.

> On 9/26/12 11:48 AM, Ben Laurie wrote:
>> No, the point you are missing is that in capabilities the_only_
>> authority I need to access a resource is the name of that resource -
>> the URI in your case.

You can't seriously believe I am missing that point while also espousing
the virtues of hyperlinks as denotation mechanisms for a global web of
linked data? That doesn't compute. That's a contradiction.

I've published more than enough examples [1] of resource access
constrained by social relationships semantics and I encourage you to
take a look and have a play.

>> Security derives from the unforgeability of the
>> URI, rather than an independent system that decides if some principal
>> has permission.

Security is not derived from the persistence of a URI per se., its
derived from the values exposed directly or indirectly via URI
de-reference with logic handling guiding inference. I can have many
identifiers, but relationship semantics ultimately determine if I can
access a resource at an address, directly or indirectly by name reference.

>> The problem that best shows the critical difference betweens caps and
>> ACLs is the confused deputy problem:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confused_deputy_problem.

Not at all!

I can sign a document that makes claims about co-reference by name or
value, in the absolute worst case. Note, a document is a materialized or
transient view in the aforementioned data access context. Basically,
that's why we relationship semantics for entailing equivalence by name,
ditto. inverse functionality. These matters have been long addressed in
computer science. Right now, we have a ubiquitous Web that simply let's
us reapply what already exists, in newer and more profound context.

At this juncture, my position hasn't changed. You haven't introduced a
new insight that's incongruent with what's possible via the Web today.

Links:

1. http://bit.ly/M7hd4T -- use of social relationship semantics to
control access to a resource via sparql (basically deep integration of
relationship semantics into data access via SPARQL protocol )

2. http://bit.ly/UuWZSI -- other posts about different aspects of the
same fundamental concept re. leveraging Linked Data (which is all about
URIs based Names) covering semantic relationships applied to controlled
resource access.