Re: WebID questions -- was: [dane] Call for Adoption: "Using Secure DNS to Associate Certificates with Domain Names For S/MIME"

On 26 September 2012 18:10, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:
> On 9/26/12 11:48 AM, Ben Laurie wrote:
>>
>> No, the point you are missing is that in capabilities the_only_
>> authority I need to access a resource is the name of that resource -
>> the URI in your case.
>

> You can seriously believe I am missing that point while also espousing the
> virtues of hyperlinks as denotation mechanisms for a global web of linked
> data. That doesn't compute. That's a contradiction.

Clearly not, since you think ACLs and caps are equivalent, but it is
well known that they are not.

>> Security derives from the unforgeability of the
>> URI, rather than an independent system that decides if some principal
>> has permission.
>

> Security is not derived from the persistence of a URI, its derived from the
> values exposed directly or indirectly via URI which logic handling routing.
> I can have many identifiers, but relationship semantics ultimately determine
> if I can access a resource at an address, directly or indirectly (i.e., name
> based indirection).

I believe that sea of words is describing your particular plan for how
linked data should work. My claim is merely that this is _not_
equivalent to capability security.

>> The problem that best shows the critical difference betweens caps and
>> ACLs is the confused deputy problem:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confused_deputy_problem.
>

> Not at all!
>
> I can sign claims about co-reference by name or value. That's why we have
> semantics for equivalence by name, ditto. inverse functionality.

I have no idea what you're trying to say here.

> These
> matters have been long addressed in computer science.

Actually, they have not been long addressed. For a long time, it was
claimed that ACLs and caps were equivalent. The confused deputy shows
that they are not.

> We are at a point
> where there is a ubiquitous Web that let's us reapply what already exists in
> newer and more profound context.

I don't dispute this!

> At this juncture, my position hasn't changed. You haven't introduced a new
> insight that incongruent with what's possible via the Web today.

Indeed not, in fact capability systems for the Web exist. WebID is not
one of them.