Re: [dane] Call for Adoption: "Using Secure DNS to Associate Certificates with Domain Names For S/MIME"

From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 18:39:00 -0400
To: public-webid@w3.org
On 9/25/12 5:31 PM, Ben Laurie wrote:
> Gah! What does this have to do with WebID? If I substitue "magic pixie
> dust" for "WebID" in the above, well, I have a fantastic example of
> how magic pixie dust secures the web. Great. Now what?
>
> OK, I guess there's one nugget in there: apparently magic pixie dust
> can be nipped from unauthenticated email I sent.
>
> I'm not feeling very enlightened.
Ben,

I assumed you attempted to explore WebID via my-profile.eu and hit some
problems. Hence my comments.

If you are interested in taking a quick look at what's possible with
WebID and ACLs, I have a simple example on G+. Here are the components
in use re. aforementioned demo:

1. WebID -- verifiable identifier in the form of a personal URI
2. X.509 Certificate -- watermarked with a WebID in its SAN slot
3. Profile Document -- a document with structured content based on the
RDF data model
4. Access Control List Ontology -- this describes the authorization
modes and how they are scoped to WebIDs.

Links:

1. http://bit.ly/O4LNKf -- A simple guide to Web-scale verifiable
identity that leverages WebID based ACLs .

Twitter/Identi.ca handle: @kidehen