From:   Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net>
To:     Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>,
Cc:     Ben Laurie <benl@google.com>, "public-webid@w3.org"
<public-webid@w3.org>, Andrei Sambra <andrei@fcns.eu>
Date:   25-09-2012 21:25
Subject:        Some WebID questions - was: [dane] Call for Adoption:
"Using Secure DNS to Associate Certificates with Domain Names For S/MIME"

Can we shift to this new title? I forgot to change it when forwarding the
mail to this list.

On 25 Sep 2012, at 21:16, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:

> On 9/25/12 2:44 PM, Henry Story wrote:
>>   I am just ccing Andrei, because Ben (
http://research.google.com/pubs/author9639.html  ) - has found a bug
inhttps://my-profile.eu/  . (see below) My guess is that Ben logged in
with a certificate that is not WebID enabled. So that's a good extra test
case to add. Of course for people like Ben, the failure of having a Logout
button on chrome is going to add to that inconvenience - because having
logged in with a certificate that may not be signed by a CA my-profile.eu
knows about, he won't be able to change his certificate later after having
made a new one.

> Ben,
>
> Wondering if you evaluated WebID using any other services or scenarios?
Your feedback would be much appreciated.

> Henry: I keep on telling you, one implementation doesn't canonically
reflect WebID.

I don't think I was serious in saying the my-profile.eu is canonical. But
it does show what a good user experience is (when it works)

> As you can imagine, Ben is time challenged, if he plays with a solution
that's pitched as canonical its natural for him to draw blanket
conclusions.

Yes, the best way to do that would be to work on a test suite, that would
cover all these cases.
I put a few proposals for this up a year ago or so:

  http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/webid/wiki/Test_Suite

Would you be prepared to commit on implementing the pieces necessary in
your products to get this going? We certainly need to simplify the test
suite. But with this we could add tests for all the types of problems we
come across to an open source software stack. The we could have objective
up to date tests on servers that properly impelement WebID.

> I continue to encourage you to separate the concept and virtues of WebID
from a specific WebID solution that aligns with your personal world view
etc..

> In my world view, the simplest demonstration of WebID's value takes the
following form:

> 1. A resource is published to the Web
> 2. The resource is ACL protected
> 3. Existence of the resource is published via email, tweet, blog post
etc..
> 4. A user tries to access the resource -- they fail or succeed subject
to ACL membership
> 5. User requests access to resource by providing their WebID to resource
owner -- this is also where signed email are useful since the WebID can be
nipped from the senders signed email certificate.

> In addition to the above, the resource acl document can itself have ACLs
that enable a variety of users expand its ACL memebership thereby making
an organic social network.