Re: Introduction to the WebID IG

On 25 Sep 2012, at 12:16, Antoine Zimmermann <antoine.zimmermann@emse.fr> wrote:

> Le 25/09/2012 11:32, Henry Story a écrit :
>>
>> On 25 Sep 2012, at 11:19, Antoine
>> Zimmermann<antoine.zimmermann@emse.fr>  wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>

>>> I've joined this group a month or so ago but did not introduce
>>> myself. I am a researcher in computer science, working on the
>>> Semantic Web since 2004. I've mostly worked on theoretical aspects
>>> connected to knowledge representation but I am interested in the
>>> applications in the area of Linked Data, Social Semantic Web,
>>> recently privacy and access control.
>>

>> Welcome Antoine. For the rest of the group I met Antoine in Deri in
>> Ireland and in Saint-Etienne. Antoine is also an expert cocktail
>> maker, and I look forward to some WebID based application for
>> organising fun parties :-)
>>
>>> I do not intend to contribute actively to this group, being mostly
>>> an observer.
>>
>> It is pretty quiet on the whole. We are just looking for feedback on
>> implementations at present.
>>

>>> I am also involved in the W3C RDF 1.1 WG, for which I will attend
>>> the meetings at TPAC in Lyon. The meeting overlaps entirely with
>>> the WebID meeting, but I'll attend the plenary too.  Maybe there
>>> will be a chance to talk to some of you there.
>>
>> Yes if you - and everyone going to TPAC - can put your name down on
>> the WebID and RWW session for the Wednesday Plenary that would be
>> great.
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/wiki/TPAC2012/SessionIdeas#WebID_and_RWWeb
>>
>> Yes. I wonder if we should pop over at some point to the RDF working
>> group?
>
> I currently have little knowledge of the details of WebID and so I don't
> know where you have to look. But the RDF WG has published documents that
> you can look at:
>
> [1]  Turtle - Terse RDF Triple Language.
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-turtle-20120710/ (Last Call Working Draft)
> [2]  RDF 1.1 Concepts and Abstract Syntax.
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-rdf11-concepts-20120605/ (Public Working Draft)
> [3]  JSON-LD Syntax 1.0 - A Context-based JSON Serialization for Linking
> Data. http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-json-ld-syntax-20120712/
> [4]  JSON-LD API 1.0 - An Application Programming Interface for the
> JSON-LD Syntax. http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-json-ld-api-20120712/

That is interesting. Yes, I that API is very much needed if one is not
going to have exactly the same problem using JSON-LD as one had using RDF/XML when one did not have the right tools to work with it.

We have not added JSON-LD yet. As with the Linked Data Profile Workging Group I think it is a bit too early still to go that way. I don't think I have the right parsers for it yet myself.

> > Perhaps the following issues have touched us
>> - RDFa support in the spec? (rdfa in html)
>
> Should RDF say something about this?  Currently, the only references to
> RDFa are in RDF 1.1 Concepts, where it is said:
>
> "An RDF document is a document that encodes an RDF graph in a concrete
> RDF syntax, such as (...) RDFa (...)"
>
> and
>
> "RDF graphs embedded in non-RDF representations with mechanism such as RDFa [RDFA-PRIMER] should use fragment identifiers consistently with the semantics imposed by the host language. For example, if the fragment #chapter1 identifies a document section in an HTML+RDFa representation, then #chapter1 should be taken to denote that same section in any RDFa-encoded statements in the document."

What I was thinking of is that we were supporting RDFa in html, but we put the text together before the rdfa specs were finished.
  http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/webid/spec/#rdfa-html-notation

So I am not sure if that is still the right rdfa. I am not sure what happened to the RDFa/microformat wars. We were waiting (In January) for the dust to have settled before moving on. Perhaps it's the time to do that now.

>> - xsd:hexBinary requiring more flexibility (spaces would be nice)
>
> The way xsd:hexBinary is defined is not the responsibility of the RDF
> WG. It's an XML thing.
>
> It's highly improbable that XML will change this. You can either use xsd:string, providing all the flexibility that you want, or be bold and define your own datatype, either in a human readable document (e.g., the WebID spec) or using the OWL 2 custom datatype definition feature, like this:
>
> webid:hexBinary  a  rdfs:Datatype;
>     owl:equivalentClass  [
>        a  rdfs:Datatype;
>        owl:onDatatype  xsd:string;
>        owl:withRestrictions ( [ xsd:pattern "([ 0-9a-fA-F])+" ] )
>     ] .

yes, we had our own datatype, cert:hex, but preferred to stick with xsd:hexBinary  as that is well supported, and it keeps the SPARQL query simple

http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/webid/spec/#verifying-the-webid-claim

>> - ? Do you see other themes that could be useful for us to come
>> together?
>
> I'd have to look more closely at WebID but what I'm mostly interested in
> in the RDF WG is semantics. Especially, we are discussing the semantics
> of "named graphs" and "RDF Datasets" (two notions normalised by SPARQL)
> and I'm not sure if it has an impact on WebID, but it can have an impact on future development of privacy preserving RDF-based systems.

Perhaps what would be useful is to have the RDF working group folk go over our spec, and send us feedback on issues they see with it.... Perhaps that is something to discuss at TPAC.

   Henry