Re: Error logging in to my profile

On 17 Sep 2012, at 18:17, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:

> On 17 Sep 2012, at 18:05, Stéphane Corlosquet <scorlosquet@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 11:57 AM, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:
>>
>> On 17 Sep 2012, at 17:52, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> On 17 September 2012 17:48, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:
>>> Melvin, can you add context when you post mails to the list?
>>> A few lines of explanation of where you found this error message,
>>> and why you post it to the list would save me having to ask you.
>>>
>>> That is the same also for URLs you post. Please add a sentence so that people reading it
>>> in the archives can later know what you thought you were talking about when you
>>> posted something.
>>>
>>> Opps, I missed out the hyphen
>>>
>>> s/my profile/my-profile/
>>>
>>> I'm trying to log in to Andrei's server by clicking the WebID login.
>>
>> Good was that so difficult to write out?
>>

>>> Does that help?
>>
>> Not completely. This is a public mailing list. Some people may not know who Andrei is, or
>> what my-profile is. It can't harm to add a URL can it?  http://my-profile.eu
>>
>> Try to think of what you would make of an e-mail like this if it were the first time you came to
>> the list. Then add enough info to make the  context explicit so that new people can understand
>> what is going on.
>>
>> Especially as this is not a bug report mailing list.
>>
>> Are you implying that bugs should be reported elsewhere or that, with enough context, it's fine to report bugs on this mailing? (I personally don't mind as long as it's stated explicitly at the beginning of the email or even better: in the title).
>
> yes.
>
> As we don't have a test suite for automatically testing endpoints yet, its fine to post here as long as one is explicit
> about what is problematic for which service. Though of course it would be better to contact the service owner
> directly. Andrei's https://my-profile/ is currently our reference implementation I think, so I'd even say its ok
> to let the community know if there is a problem.

Sorry I meant to write https://my-profile.eu/

There is another reason for sending such posts to this mailing list: and that would be that if there is no response from service owners, or if software that is no longer maintained we should remove it from the list of functioning software. ( We could have a list of older software! )