Re: WEbID Todos

On 8 Oct 2012, at 14:04, Ben Laurie <benl@google.com> wrote:

> On 8 October 2012 13:01, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:

>>> I think the question is whether linkability needs to be an unavoidable
>>> side effect of identifying yourself to a particular site. Clearly
>>> there are times when you want to be linked and times when you don't.
>>> Is it clear that the moment you should decide this is the moment when
>>> you choose your credential?
>>
>> You don't have to do it then. You can go to a web site, create an account there,
>> then later link them up using stronger identities. There is nothing stopping
>> this from being possible. WebID is just the protocol you can use when you want
>> strong cross site identity. It does not have to be the authentication system
>> to use everywhere: clearly not.
>
> It doesn't have to be, clearly, but if you want adoption it also seems
> clear to me that you need to offer a universal solution. If your
> "web-scale" solution does not actually work for the whole web, why
> would I adopt it?

It works for the whole web when you want to authenticate in a linkable manner.
It solves an important problem for decentralised social networks. This may not
be your problem, but it is mine, and I think it is a huge space for developing
new applications that are privacy enhancing.  This type of co-operative privacy
may not interest you, that is ok - I can't dictate your priorities. If you
are interested in this, and you can find a way to make WebID work more flexibly
with new versions of TLS that will be great. But I am not interested in developing
those - I want to develop the social web. I can do it now.

And in fact I am going to turn off this mailing list a bit to get back to
programming.