Re: unlinkability

On 6 October 2012 12:03, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:

> On 6 Oct 2012, at 12:01, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On 6 October 2012 11:42, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:
>

>> On 6 Oct 2012, at 11:39, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> problem?

>>> Can you explain why it is problematic. It is not because he brought it up
>>> that it is problematic right? Or is he someone who sets the standards
>>> of what is or is not problematic? Through what authority?
>>>

>> Harry stressed that this was a key consideration to him.  As an
>> influential member of the social web (he was chair of the W3C Social Web
>> XG), I would consider his opinions important.  His complain was that he
>> raised this before, and that the webid group did not look at it.
>>

>> But you have not summarised in your own words what his complaint is. So
>> how do you know we did not answer it?
>>

>> If we, as a group, are able to address such concerns, or show that we
>> have evaluated them and proven then are non issues (for example in a FAQ),
>> it may help bring the benefits of WebID to a wider audience.
>>

>> That is why I ask you to express in your words what the problem is, and
>> see if you can come up with an answer to the
>> problem. And indeed we should add this on a list of question and answers
>> that comes up.
>>

> I have quoted the passage cited by Hannes, Harry and others.
>

> yes, but you have to develop that passage and see how it applies to WebID.
> It is not an obvious passage at all, and it is not clear it applies at all
> to WebID.
>
> It's something we (as a group) have been asked to look at.  In truth, it's
> been quite a hard conversation to follow as there were many replies and
> points raised in a short period of time.  I dont know if unlinking the
> public key from the URI provides more 'unlinkability', it was just a
> suggestion.
>

> But it seems unclear to me that the concerns have been addressed.
>

> Well I did in fact answer that mail. But I am going to send out a new mail
> right now, to make sure it is clear.

Yes I saw, and Kingsley has made an argument on this too.

But that's no guarantee that an argument has been taken in.

I was reading this yesterday, which emphasises the challenges of
communicating persuasively

http://www.stevenpressfield.com/2009/10/writing-wednesdays-2-the-most-important-writing-lession-i-ever-learned/

> Certainly there was no acknowledgement of that.
>

> By whome? By Harry? He never acknowledges mails that don't go in his
> direction.

It was Hannes and Harry that asked us to look at this.