Re: New WebID spec on identity.

All --

Some unfortunate typos sometimes result from rushed messages...

On Nov 19, 2012, at 04:34 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:

> On 11/19/12 3:55 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>>
>> I've been wondering for some time now what you gain from the 303 dance.
>>
>> Sorry if I've missed something, but could you go over the benefits of having, say
>>
>> http://graph.facebook.com/dave
>>
>> over
>>
>> http://graph.facebook.com/dave#
>
> You gain the ability to use existing URIs in the context of Linked Data.  You can't turn any of the URIs above into one that would be usable via WebID over TLS? Imagine putting one of those in the SAN slot of an X.509 certificate, what do you get? Nothing that could be used by a verifier to authenticate identity, and certainly not identity controlled by the referent of any of those URIs.
>
> The power of hashless URIs lies in the ability to use to perform middleware magic via URIs. Any LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Wordpress, Microsoft Live, Google+, Mozilla Persona etc.. account holder can get a fully fledged 5-Star Linked Data URI and a WebID, today, thanks to the power of URIs.
>
> The nuance here is all about making scalable 5-Star URIs that are hackable [1] while also being opaque [2] . You can just tack #tag

"You *can't* just tack #tag..."

A: Yes.                      http://www.guckes.net/faq/attribution.html
| Q: Are you sure?
| | A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
| | | Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Ted Thibodeau, Jr.           //               voice +1-781-273-0900 x32
Senior Support & Evangelism  //        mailto:tthibodeau@openlinksw.com
                             //              http://twitter.com/TallTed
OpenLink Software, Inc.      //              http://www.openlinksw.com/
         10 Burlington Mall Road, Suite 265, Burlington MA 01803
     Weblog   -- http://www.openlinksw.com/blogs/
     LinkedIn -- http://www.linkedin.com/company/openlink-software/
     Twitter  -- http://twitter.com/OpenLink
     Google+  -- http://plus.google.com/100570109519069333827/
     Facebook -- http://www.facebook.com/OpenLinkSoftware
Universal Data Access, Integration, and Management Technology Providers