Re: WebID definition proposal with any kind of URI

That's a good use case Jürgen, something that was discussed on the mailing
list a long time ago. We should consider this use case of non-HTTP URIs.

During ISWC Boston, I had a discussion with Bart who was arguing that there
are scenarios that don't necessarily rely on dereferenceable HTTP URIs such
as an Active Directory which would have its own way of looking up AD
credentials in its db (its own way of "dereferencing" an AD URI). I'm
cc'ing Bart hoping he can chime in and give more details.

So maybe there is some need to have a high level WebID protocol definition
for URIs in general, and separately define the HTTP URI / Linked Data way
of doing WebID protocol as a subset of the generic protocol. Others
interested in AC, LDAP, snail mail can work on these in parallel. Think
decoupling.

Jürgen feel free to add this to the wiki as well, or I'll do it later when
I get to work...

More below:

> PROPOSAL turnguard
> >
> > A WebID is a URI that denotes an Agent, like a Person, Group,
> > Organization, Software or the like. When dereferenced the WebID returns
> > a document that uniquely describes its referent.
> The URI when de-referenced returns a document.
> The document uniquely describes its ( the WebID I suppose? )'s referent
> But you just said above that de-referencing the URI returned a document.
> Your definition is a bit loopy :-)
>   I think you need to define what  de-referencing a URI for any
> URI scheme means. Also you need to explain how that would work with
> telnet and irc uris.

Yes, we know dereferencing in the case of HTTP, but not sure what the means
for other URI schemes. But that is not an issue in the decoupled approach
I'm suggesting above, where at the top level we define the WebID protocol
not tied to any kind of URI, and separately we define the HTTP URI WebID
protocol as we know it today. The other kind of URIs can be worked out
elsewhere without blocking progress on HTTP WebID.

Steph.

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 3:18 AM, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net>wrote:

> On 16 Nov 2012, at 02:04, Jürgen Jakobitsch <j.jakobitsch@semantic-web.at>
> wrote:
>
> > hi,
> >
> > analog to henry's mail for any kind of URI.
> > (henry stated that people => in favour <= of the #-ur(i|l) webid
> > definition should reply to the mail with subject "WebID definition
> > proposal with hash urls". - i think that's a good idea, these threads
> > get hard to read from time to time.
> >
> > PROPOSAL turnguard
> >
> > A WebID is a URI that denotes an Agent, like a Person, Group,
> > Organization, Software or the like. When dereferenced the WebID returns
> > a document that uniquely describes its referent.
>
> The URI when de-referenced returns a document.
> The document uniquely describes its ( the WebID I suppose? )'s referent
> But you just said above that de-referencing the URI returned a document.
> Your definition is a bit loopy :-)
>   I think you need to define what  de-referencing a URI for any
> URI scheme means. Also you need to explain how that would work with
> telnet and irc uris.
>

> > comments :
> >
> > 1. so i'm +0.9 for kingsley's suggestion
> > 2. i'd add an example of what uniquely describes means
> > 3. i'd add a sentence that lead from unique description to the realm of
> > authentication (something like : some unique descriptions (like a
> > cert:key, foaf:openid) may be used to authenticate some may not. with a
> > link to webID + TLS
> >
> > wkr j
> >

> > --
> > | Jürgen Jakobitsch,
> > | Software Developer
> > | Semantic Web Company GmbH
> > | Mariahilfer Straße 70 / Neubaugasse 1, Top 8
> > | A - 1070 Wien, Austria
> > | Mob +43 676 62 12 710 | Fax +43.1.402 12 35 - 22
> >
> > COMPANY INFORMATION
> > | web       : http://www.semantic-web.at/
> > | foaf      : http://company.semantic-web.at/person/juergen_jakobitsch
> > PERSONAL INFORMATION