Re: Interesting Identity & Privacy Presentation

Kaliya has been running the semi-annual Internet Identity
Workshop<http://internetidentityworkshop.com/>for a long time.
At each of these workshops, at least one person typically comes up with a
session titled "What is Identity" or similar.
Also at each of these workshops, there are always LOTS of sessions on (very
diverse) technical approaches to "do identity" on the Internet.
So over the years, Kaliya's been exposed to many different ways of thinking
about online identity, on the business, legal and technical levels.

If you want to "drill down into the details" and "build systems that have
consistent behaviour", then that's valuable, but you immediately commit
yourself to certain assumptions which not everybody would agree with.
E.g. you may commit to a worldview that all online identity things are best
done with Linked Data and WebID, which is great, because it's so tightly
based on core web principles, and decentralized, and etc.
But it's not the only way to do identity online, over the years there have
been so many different approaches.

So I believe Kaliya's intention behind this presentation was indeed to
remain on a high enough level to still say interesting things about
identity on the Internet, without making commitments to any specific "this
is how you do it".

Markus