Re: Fwd: Re: as trustworthy as the hierarchical CA system currently in place...

On 3/5/12 1:45 PM, nilclass@riseup.net wrote:
> But I did (and do) think that it
> should be made clear, that the knowledge that you have about the
> authenticity of a peer after authenticating via WebID is only as likely to
> be true, as the whole chain of authentication leading to the conclusion of
> that knowledge is likely to be compromised.
Identity is verified via relations. These relations are mirrored across
your local keystore and a data space you control. You have to be able to
achieve two vital tasks when compromising the system:

1. have a de-referencable URI in the subjectAlternateName (SAN) slot of
an X.509 certificate
2. the URI has to resolve to a graph where the URI is in a relation
(this has specific semantics) with the aforementioned X.509
certificate's public key .

There is a composite key in two places, they have to match via
semantically rich relations verification. This system isn't vulnerable
to the scenario you describe.

If you believe it is vulnerable then I would encourage you to
demonstrate said vulnerability. I can easily protect a published
resource using a WebID based ACL, then ask you to access this resource
by exploiting the vulnerability you assume. That's what I would do etc..

Founder&  CEO