Re: Encrypted chat over WebID

Hi Melvin,

On 07/22/2012 09:28 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> I've been thinking for some time about WebID based chat.  Also
> interesting is the crypto cat spec:
>
> https://project.crypto.cat/documents/spec/spec-rev1.4a.pdf
>
> It seems there's some concern about exposing your private key, in case
> of zero day exploits etc.
>
> However it's typical to use PKI to generate a "shared secret" that can
> be used, say, to encrypt chat.
>
> Initially it could be possible to communicate a shared secret out of
> band (eg i could sent you a mail etc.)
>
> However, I was wondering if there could be a smart way to implement this
> using WebID.  Can anyone think of a possible algorithm for this?

I don't see why we can't use pingback for it. From a Linked Data p.o.v.,
one can even consider a chat (between two or more people) as a named
graph containing all messages specific to the conversation.

Each participant can save their local copy of the discussion according
to a context specific to them (e.g. "WebID access delegation").

I really believe that we can do much more with pingback, if we take the
time to improve it a bit.

Andrei