Re: hash editing: removing apple bug ref from SHOULD

On Dec 6, 2012, at 05:19 PM, Henry Story wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> You have asserted that it is a little-used tool, and based
>> on this current usage level, you seem to believe that it
>> will remain so -- even when the technologies we're trying
>> to boost here increase uptake, and users therefore have
>> added incentive to use this pre-installed and easy-to-use
>> (albeit apparently buggy) tool.

>>> Still the SHOULD gives you the wiggle space for this.

>>> ok. I am not sure where I stand, and am looking at the arguments
>>> as they appear on the wiki. It does not help if one puts an argument
>>> against SHOULD that does not argue against SHOULD.
>>

>> I'm asserting that my argument against MUST is *also* an
>> argument against SHOULD and for the far looser MAY.

>>> yes, I believe the interoperability arguments are already up on the
>>> wiki. So I don't see why adding an argument against SHOULD that does
>>> not make a case against SHOULD is helping.
>>
>> The fact that you don't *see* it as making a case against SHOULD
>> does not make it a fact that it *doesn't* make such a case -- and
>> I assert once more, it *does* make a case against SHOULD.

>>> yes my typo.
>>
>> What's the typo?
>>
>> OH!  Are you saying that you meant to say there, that the
>> redirect should be from <http://some.eg/foaf%23.*> to
>> <http://some.eg/foaf#.*>, where the ".*" is means as regex
>> "0-infinite wildcard"?

>>> I think that is why people are arguing that #uri must be a SHOULD.
>>> ( At least that is one of the arguments up on the wiki - it's under MUST,
>>> but I guess it could also be under SHOULD )
>>
>> Again --
>>
>> If the # is SHOULD, and tools are percent-encoding that
>> character at various points, and other tools are *not*
>> percent-decoding, then the end result will be MANY ERRORS,
>> and poor user experience, until and unless implementors
>> all decide to break the SHOULD with the justifiable argument
>> that IT BREAKS THE EXPERIENCE.
>>
>> Thus -- the # should *NOT* be SHOULD, and people who are
>> implementing WebID functionality should have the freedom
>> to choose hashed or hashless based on their audience/target
>> user-base (say, if your target is Mac users, you won't want
>> to use hashed, because of the issues I've highlighted ...
>> but you'll be trading off some degree of performance ...
>> though that performance could be lost even *with* hashed
>> URIs if you 303 at some other point for whatever reason...)

>>> Your general position is against SHOULD and for MAY, and that
>>> is a perfectly reasonable case to argue.
>>
>> Yes, and gee, thanks.
>>

>>> But this particular argument ( the one I removed from the wiki )
>>> does not work against SHOULD.
>>
>> Yes, I say again, it does.  Just because you don't see it,
>> doesn't mean it isn't there.  (Black swan!  Open world!)
>
> This is a question of logic. That is I am taking all possibilities
> into account. Your argument still does not work against SHOULD
> since
>
>  1. SHOULD allows you for good reasons to make exceptions,

SHOULD allows *implementors* to make exceptions for good
reasons.

I am suggesting, strongly, and more strongly by the minute,
that the spec SHOULD NOT set things up such that implementors
go down a known-flawed path (i.e., hashed URIs) until they
run into enough road blocks to each decide that they have
good reason to NOT conform with the SHOULD advice.

>  2. you have the  redirect from http://profile.eg/joe%23me to http://profile.eg/joe
>     as an option.

Yes, and setting things up such that all deployers/users have
to handle this painful scenario is *definitely* going to increase
uptake and usability of WebID technology....

Or maybe, not.

>>> You may have already enough arguments against SHOULD for all I know.
>>> Adding arguments that don't argue against what you wish to argue against
>>> is not helping.
>>>
>>> In fact I gave you a powerful extra argument for the third MAY solution
>>> today:
>>> - SPDY: with SPDY, my arguments against redirects is a lot less strong.
>>> - Caching of 303s: if that is correct then it removes a little bit of sting
>>> ( but I'd like Nathan to point to the Httbis spec )
>>>
>>> I would like to see arguments that help us make progress.
>>

>> Indeed.  Then please don't simply paint over the ones with
>> which you disagree.
>
> I am pointing out logical impossibilities in arguments, those
> are the ones I am picking out at present. Not arguments with
> whose conclusions I disagree - I have not made up my mind what
> the conclusion should be.

If you delete an argument from the wiki page, you've painted
over it.

If it's impossible, point out the impossibility, and be done.

My logic may have flaws -- but I've yet to see you point out
a fatal one, which an impossibility would be.

>> We're working with intelligent people who can evaluate our
>> arguments themselves -- and should have the freedom to do so.
>
> I consider myself intelligent, and well versed in logic. And your
> argument just does not work.

"...for me," that is, for Henry.

Kindly allow others to form their own conclusions by not
censoring topical arguments on wiki pages.

Perhaps the logical consistency of my position ("WebID SHOULD be
HTTP URI", period, end of sentence, "MAY be hashed" is left to
be inferred [or not] by the reader; I'll tolerate MUST be HTTP
for this iteration) has might be confirmed by your consideration
of this question --

   Why does the Linked Data meme (Five Star or original form)
   stop at "HTTP URIs", and not say "hash-based HTTP URIs"?

Presuming WebID is meant to align with Linked Data (and that is
definitely one of my presumptions), I have yet to see a strong
justification for WebID to go further than Linked Data along
this line...

And we're back to "WebID MUST be URI, SHOULD be HTTP(S) URI,"
full stop.

Ted