Re: hash editing: removing apple bug ref from SHOULD

On 6 Dec 2012, at 22:59, Ted Thibodeau Jr <tthibodeau@openlinksw.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>> worked in the first place (Virtuoso being one of few servers that
>>> was built to deal with IE's broken behavior of sending the #frag
>>> as part of its GET, unquestionably violating HTTP spec).
>>>
>>> But today's effort is about *interoperability*, about making sure
>>> that the most tools possible will work with each other.
>>>
>>> I want *other* tools to either handle these issues, or -- far
>>> better! -- not have to address them at all.
>>
>> yes, I believe the interoperability arguments are already up on the
>> wiki. So I don't see why adding an argument against SHOULD that does
>> not make a case against SHOULD is helping.
>
> The fact that you don't *see* it as making a case against SHOULD
> does not make it a fact that it *doesn't* make such a case -- and
> I assert once more, it *does* make a case against SHOULD.

>>> Note that such redirections will not typically be from something
>>> ending foaf%23 but something ending foaf%23fragID, *and* it won't
>>> be applicable to *every* GET with %23 in the requested URI...
>>
>> yes my typo.
>
> What's the typo?
>
> OH!  Are you saying that you meant to say there, that the
> redirect should be from <http://some.eg/foaf%23.*> to
> <http://some.eg/foaf#.*>, where the ".*" is means as regex
> "0-infinite wildcard"?
>

>>> And, even if it were applicable to every GET, it's not nearly
>>> trivial to set up on most web servers, or so I've gathered from
>>> witnessing many people trying to do so.
>>
>> I think that is why people are arguing that #uri must be a SHOULD.
>> ( At least that is one of the arguments up on the wiki - it's under MUST,
>> but I guess it could also be under SHOULD )
>
> Again --
>
> If the # is SHOULD, and tools are percent-encoding that
> character at various points, and other tools are *not*
> percent-decoding, then the end result will be MANY ERRORS,
> and poor user experience, until and unless implementors
> all decide to break the SHOULD with the justifiable argument
> that IT BREAKS THE EXPERIENCE.
>
> Thus -- the # should *NOT* be SHOULD, and people who are
> implementing WebID functionality should have the freedom
> to choose hashed or hashless based on their audience/target
> user-base (say, if your target is Mac users, you won't want
> to use hashed, because of the issues I've highlighted ...
> but you'll be trading off some degree of performance ...
> though that performance could be lost even *with* hashed
> URIs if you 303 at some other point for whatever reason...)

>>> My argument *is* against SHOULD, and *for* MAY, given the
>>> underlying goal -- maximizing interoperability.
>>
>> Your general position is against SHOULD and for MAY, and that
>> is a perfectly reasonable case to argue.
>
> Yes, and gee, thanks.
>

>> But this particular argument ( the one I removed from the wiki )
>> does not work against SHOULD.
>
> Yes, I say again, it does.  Just because you don't see it,
> doesn't mean it isn't there.  (Black swan!  Open world!)

This is a question of logic. That is I am taking all possibilities
into account. Your argument still does not work against SHOULD
since

  1. SHOULD allows you for good reasons to make exceptions,
     ( and you claim to have a good reason )
  2. you have the  redirect from http://profile.eg/joe%23me to http://profile.eg/joe
     as an option.

>> You may have already enough arguments against SHOULD for all I know.
>> Adding arguments that don't argue against what you wish to argue against
>> is not helping.
>>
>> In fact I gave you a powerful extra argument for the third MAY solution
>> today:
>> - SPDY: with SPDY, my arguments against redirects is a lot less strong.
>> - Caching of 303s: if that is correct then it removes a little bit of sting
>>  ( but I'd like Nathan to point to the Httbis spec )
>>
>> I would like to see arguments that help us make progress.
>

> Indeed.  Then please don't simply paint over the ones with
> which you disagree.

I am pointing out logical impossibilities in arguments, those
are the ones I am picking out at present. Not arguments with
whose conclusions I disagree - I have not made up my mind what
the conclusion should be.

> We're working with intelligent people who can evaluate our
> arguments themselves -- and should have the freedom to do so.

I consider myself intelligent, and well versed in logic. And your
argument just does not work.