Re: Extending the WebID protocol with Access Delegation

On 8/14/12 11:53 AM, Henry Story wrote:

>> >The secretary WebID resolves to a profile document that bears the secretary relationship with some other WebID.
> that would not be delegated authentication then.
Okay, so we have two puzzle pieces in the form of web documents:

1. document where TimBL expresses the secretary relationship
2. document where TimBL authorizes secretary to act on his behalf.

If the above is true, why is it inconceivable that TimBL's secretary
doesn't receive some notification (e.g. Semantic Pingback) about the
relationship in question? Doing so would result in the inverse
relationship in the profile document of his secretary.

> For delegated authentorization we need the delegator to specify who he is willing to delegate access to - who his secretary is in the language of the paper. I think you will find this delegated authorisation very useful. ( More below )

You know I don't doubt the utility of this endeavor, I am trying to
determine if this can be handled via ACLs and a Linked Data crawl :-)

>> >Why?
> Because the secretary has to specify on whose behalf she is working: the agent who delegated her the job of fetching things on his behalf. You have to think of a virtuoso server serving 1000 profiles or such, and needing to fetch things for its users (just in order to be able to do access control).

That part is clear, what I see at this juncture is two puzzle pieces
(Linked Data docs)  where the one that's tested by an ACL doesn't bear
the critical relationship i.e., TimBL's made the claim in his document
but said claim doesn't have a reciprocal claim in his secretary's doc.
Thus, you try to work around this via the custom HTTP header based hint.

The hint works as a fallback, but I really think dogfooding Semantic
Pingbacks basically solves this problem since a pingback notice from
TimBL will create the reciprocal relationship in his secretary's profile
document. Once this is done, its just a follow-your-nose based URI
dereference as part of the SPARQL evaluation.

>> >I don't think so, hence my question about being just another ACL based on specific entity relationship semantics.
> The paper argues why this is not just another ACL issue - though perhaps this could be put more clearly in those terms.  Here are two key points (developed in section 3.2 of the paper)
>
>    - a resource may have different representations depending on who makes the request. So when the secretary is fetching a resource for TimBl it may get one representation, and when I fetch it another (more vs. less information for example)
>    - the secretary may be a secretary for a number of different people, some who have access and some who do not.

a single secretary for many individuals, as outlined above, can be
handled by a pingback system. The challenge is propagation of the
triples expressing the various relationships.

My system allows many ACLs and precedence controls etc.

>> >If its just another ACL, which is what I believe it is, we are set. It just more dog-fooding en route more "deceptively simple" demos re., WebID utility.
> nope, see section 3.2

I am going to read the paper. At this juncture though, I think its ACLs
+ Semantic Pingbacks.