Re: MyProfile REST API.

On 8/10/12 5:15 PM, Andrei Sambra wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Today marks the first release of MyProfile REST API [1], which is
> supposed to be an interface between standard social web applications
> (i.e. MyProfile included), and linked data storage, especially SPARQL
> endpoints (i.e. Virtuoso).
>
> The API offers WebID authentication as well as WebID delegated
> authorization[2]. It will offer access control at the triple level
> very soon (a few weeks maximum). For now I'm just testing that I'm
> doing it right.
>
> A very important feature of the API is that it serves data based on
> the desired Content-Type. This means if you specify in your request
> that you Accept: text/rdf+n3, then you will get the data back in that
> format.
>
> The API currently supports viewing of user profiles (i.e. GET
> methods), as well as removing cached profiles (i.e. DELETE methods).
> Once I switch the Wall posts and Messages to full RDF storage
> (probably based on SIOC), I will also enable those resources.
>

> Anyway, here is a quick example for viewing a user's profile:
>
> The request:
>
> HTTP/1.1 GET https://auth.my-profile.eu/profile/?webid=<urlencoded WebID>
>
> With these extra header options:
>
> Accept: text/rdf+n3
> On-Behalf-Of: https://my-profile.eu/people/deiu/card#me
>
> Returns*:
>
> <https://my-profile.eu/people/deiu/card#me>
>     a foaf:Person ;
>     foaf:name "Andrei Vlad Sambra" ;
>     foaf:givenName "Andrei Vlad" ;
>     . . .
>
> *the returned profile matches the access control policies specific to
> the user on whose behalf the request is being made, and optionally the
> agent doing the request.
>

> Another example for deleting the cached copy of a profile:
>
> The request:
> HTTP/1.1 DELETE
> https://auth.my-profile.eu/profile/cache/?webid=<urlencoded WebID>

Why does a WebID need to be url encoded ? In this context, a WebID is an
opaque denotation  (name) mechanism. Indirection via redirection is
where encoded URLs come into play.

Example:

URI: https://my-profile.eu/people/deiu/card#me

Implicit Indirection leads to the actual data source being at the URL:
https://my-profile.eu/people/deiu/card .

The resource above is associated with the subject it describes, assuming
its a profile document. Thus, the resource will bear the complete
description graph for itself and the entity it describes. Basically,
<https://my-profile.eu/people/deiu/card#me> and
<https://my-profile.eu/people/deiu/card> are two distinct URIs that
resolve to a common resource (the actual eav/spo based structured content).

The subtlety here is that we need to url encode document URLs but not so
for generic HTTP URIs . This is an important Linked Data nuance that's
best groked via the images I reference below [1][2].

> Returns*:
> Successfully deleted profile https://my-profile.eu/people/deiu/card#me.
>
> *for now, the operation will be performed only if the request is made
> by profile owner, or on his/her behalf (!)

Shouldn't that be subject to the ACL associated with the resource?

Links:

1. http://twitpic.com/5m2lu5 -- Denotation (Naming) is opaque (re.
Linked Data there's a duality re. denotation and web resource
identification handled via implicit or explicit indirection, subject to
your URI style choices i.e., hash or hashless)

2. http://twitpic.com/5m2pp9 -- RESTFul URLs don't require opacity

Kingsley