Re: New members introduction

Hello, I am Santhosh Thottingal. Senior software engineer at Wikimedia
Foundation <http://wikimediafoundation.org/>. We recently joined w3c
<https://wikimediafoundation.org/2019/03/28/joining-the-world-wide-web-consortium/>.
I work at Language team of Wikimedia Foundation, responsible for the
technology that makes Wikipedia available in 291 languages. I am also a
typeface designer, had designed two very popular Malayalam typefaces and
worked on opentype engineering of several fonts. At Wikipedia, We use
webfonts
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Universal_Language_Selector/WebFonts>
mainly for (a) To resolve missing font issues in less known scripts (b) To
preserve the typography of old books while digitizing and presenting in
wikisource (c) Accessibility, providing options for dyslexic users to
choose a helpful font. We had done some attempts to embed fonts in all
wikipedia pages, but we had to discontinue that plan because of high
performance cost we observed(This was in 2012-13) .
I will start with familiarizing ongoing activities. Thanks!

On Wed, May 29, 2019 at 12:22 AM Levantovsky, Vladimir <
Vladimir.Levantovsky@monotype.com> wrote:

> Hello WebFonts WG,
>

> We have three new members who have just joined the group - Santhosh
> Thottingal from Wikimedia Foundation, and Akira Torii and Satoshi Sakurai
> from Mitsubishi Electric Corporation.
>
> Welcome Santhosh, Torii-san and Sakurai-san to the WebFonts WG. If you
> could please each reply to this message and introduce yourself to the group
> it would also confirm that the email list was properly updated and
> everything is working as it should.
>

> The WebFonts WG has recently been re-chartered
> <https://www.w3.org/Fonts/WG/webfonts-2018.html> and conducts their
> business mostly on this email list. We do plan to have the GitHub
> repository once the activities pick up. The email list is visible to public
> and also has public web archive
> <https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webfonts-wg/>, which is a
> useful tool if you’d like to review prior discussions that already happened
> since the WG was formed in December 2018. I will also forward you the
> information about our weekly call setup.
>

> Welcome to the WebFonts WG!

Santhosh Thottingal
Senior Software Engineer, Language
Wikimedia Foundation <https://wikimediafoundation.org/> | thottingal.in