Re: Flashiness (was RE: Proposed agenda for this week telcon, March 28th)

On 28/03/2019 15:51, Jason Pamental wrote:
> I was wondering if part of the answer might be to simply render new
> content (i.e. a comment that has posted) in fallback font until new font
> download is complete. But I’m not entirely sure if that would trigger
> multiple repaints, which could be a bad experience.

Yes, it would be liable to multiple repaints.

And it would also be liable to "ransom-note" effects, particularly in
the case where content is edited rather than an entirely new, separate
block being added. E.g. imagine a user-editable comment field that uses
such a webfont. The user writes an ASCII-only comment, and the browser
downloads an ASCII subset of the font.

Then the user edits their comment, inserting an accented letter (e.g.
they fix the spelling of someone's title from "Senor" to "Señor"). The
accented character wasn't present in the initial font subset, so a new
request is made; but in the meantime, it gets rendered using a fallback
for the ñ, which might look a bit ugly. Then, once the new subset has
been downloaded and added to the resource, the content gets repainted
using the proper font.

JK