Re: Proposed agenda for this week telcon, March 28th

I don’t know if we’ll have time, but I’d like to have a discussion about flashiness.

I think we’ve all settled on a design where, during initial page load, some subset of a font is downloaded from a server. Then, as the page content changes, there would be subsequent downloads from the server, and somehow a way of joining the new response with the old response. What should browsers show during the second download?

One option is the way unicode-range behaves, where a random half of the characters scattered throughout the newly-added text are rendered, and the remaining ones are invisible. I have accidentally caused behavior like this in WebKit before (in English content), and we heard howls from users about it.
Another option is for the browser to somehow separate the “new text” from the “old text” and render none of the “new text” but keep rendering all of the “old text”. Keeping these two sets distinct is perhaps unimplementable, especially in the presence of things like React that have “virtual DOMs” and automatic diffing
Guarantee that, for every alphabetic language/script, the entire alphabet always be transferred together. This wouldn’t help the scripts that need progressive enhancement the most, may not work with combining marks even in alphabetic scripts.
Maybe someone smarter than me can come up with something better?

Thanks,
Myles