Re: Transformed ‘glyf’ table getting larger than the original

On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 04:12:25PM +0300, Chris Lilley wrote:

> On 2016-08-15 12:36, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> > Is it normal that the transformed ‘glyf’ table (before compression) being
> > (much) larger than the original?
> Provided the compressed, transformed table is smaller than the compressed,
> original table would be.

WOFF1 has such a requirement[1] but it was removed from WOFF2, and since
in WOFF2 we don’t compress tables individually the AT will need to
compress the whole table data multiple times to measure the difference,
or compress the individual affected table and hope that the compression
ration will be the same when the table data is compressed (which might
not be true for Brotli).

Regards,
Khaled

1. https://dev.w3.org/webfonts/WOFF/spec/#conform-compressedlarger