Re: hmtx transform - thinking out loud (yet again)

Based on measurements to date most fonts benefit from the simple all or
nothing approach. In absence of evidence that the additional variations are
a win my inclination would be to use one of the extension values to
indicate we followed the original suggestion and leave the other two
available. That is, to take the all or nothing route unless we can show
there is a solid win for the additional variations.

This allows us one more transform before we need to introduce something
like transform 11 means a uint8 transform is present. As an aside, perhaps
that should be a general standard for the transform field?

IMHO that means we need a corpus of CJK fonts to confirm/deny that the
variations are a sufficient win for CJK fonts to justify inclusion in the
spec.

Cheers, Rod S