Re: status of hmtx transform proposal?

*tl;dr* I think we should add it to the spec, looks like it does indeed
save ~1%.

I ran a quick scan over the Google Fonts corpus using Cosimo's tool (
https://github.com/anthrotype/fonttools/tree/woff2_hmtx, thanks for that!)
to create two woff2's, one with hmtx optimization (if possible) and one
without so I could compare the post-compression impact of the change. I
saved just over 1% for fonts with savings, just under 1% overall. 77% of
the TTF files I tested saved bytes when hmtx optimization was enabled.

Bytes saved% size5171.1%For fonts that saved at least 1 byte3980.85%For all
fonts

Count%1465100.0%Fonts113377.3%Fonts that had gains (eg had all x-min == lsb)
33222.7%Fonts that had no gains

Cheers, Rod S.