Re: Question on DSIG and head flag 11

Vladimir and others,

Should the 'DSIG' table, as a whole, be removed, or should only any digital signature that is present be removed from the table? Changes to the 'sfnt' resource affect the validity of the digital signature, not the table as a whole. I raise this question because some environments (Windows is one example, I think) use the mere presence of the 'DSIG' table to assign the correct icon to OpenType/CFF fonts. It is possible to have a completely valid 'DSIG' table that includes zero (0) digital signatures, which can be referred to as a "stub" table.

The open source OpenType/CFF fonts that I have built include a 'DSIG' table with zero signatures. The size of such a table is a mere eight bytes, and the following is its ttx XML snippet:

  <DSIG>
    <tableHeader flag="0x0" numSigs="0" version="1"/>
  </DSIG>

Anyway, this is something to consider as an alternative to simply removing the 'DSIG' table.

Regards...

-- Ken