RE: Updated WOFF2 spec is uploaded

Okay, check the (new-ish) updated version and let me know if this would do it for you. I think it is pretty clear why DSIG has to go – I just added a bit more explanatory text to emphasize the uncertainty of the decoder actions and certainty of getting a binary mismatch between input and output font data.

Cheers,
Vlad

From: Roderick Sheeter [mailto:rsheeter@google.com]
Sent: Monday, April 06, 2015 10:57 AM
To: Levantovsky, Vladimir
Cc: w3c-webfonts-wg (public-webfonts-wg@w3.org)
Subject: Re: Updated WOFF2 spec is uploaded

I actually like what you just wrote: We don't know ahead of time what the decoder will do. We know it is very likely to change something, therefore remove DSIG because it is very unlikely to remain valid. I agree the spec already tells you this but I think it could be more direct about it.

So ... maybe we could put something more like that in? (but in more spec-ish language :D)

If the spec more directly pointed out the reasoning (improbability of DSIG working + inability to predict decoder behavior ahead of time), I think I would understand why DSIG MUST go away on first reading. Currently I think I'd have to read it a few times if it was my first pass through the spec.

Ultimately it's fine as is; just trying to make it easier on the reader.

Cheers, Rod S

PS - just noticed a typo in: "between the editros draft used to prepare the First Public Working Draft and the editors draft used to prepare"