Re: WOFF-ACTION-150: Make private data block section clear regarding compression

Hello Jonathan,

> On 16/9/14 12:54, WebFonts Working Group Issue Tracker wrote:
>> WOFF-ACTION-150: Make private data block section clear regarding
>> compression
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/Fonts/WG/track/actions/150
>>
>> Assigned to: Vladimir Levantovsky
>>

> Just to confirm here: I assume the intention is to clarify that the
> private data block is NOT part of the Brotli-compressed stream, and is
> NOT compressed in any way as far as the WOFF2 spec is concerned - right?

Right.

> (If a vendor chooses to put a Brotli-compressed block of data there, or
> any other compressed format, they're of course free to do so.

Yes.

>  But as far
> as the WOFF2 spec is concerned, it's simply an opaque block of bytes
> with no known format or interpretation.)

> Does this match your understanding of the intent?

Exactly.

As i expressed it in the meeting: if I give you an sfnt font and a
blob of meta and a blob of private, a woff2 encoder does not compress
the private; it appends it as is.

--
Best regards,