Re: Potential conformance statements in WOFF2, sections 4 to 7

On 19/8/14 19:39, Chris Lilley wrote:
> Hello WebFonts,
>
> 4. Table directory format
>
> All of the conformance statements from WOFF 1.0 5. Table Directory
> seem to apply.
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/REC-WOFF-20121213/#TableDirectory
>
> (in firefox, View > Style > conformance. I don't know how Chrome
>   handles alternate stylesheets. I think MSIE doesn't handle them at
>   all.
>
> I suggest that all of WOFF 1.0 section 5 be added to the existing
> content of WOFF2 section 4.

Related to this: do we care about font table ordering? (Here, I'm NOT
referring to the order of the table directory entries).

WOFF 1.0 required the order of the actual font tables with the font to
be preserved. AFAICT, WOFF2 doesn't currently provide the information
needed to reconstruct the original table order.

One way we could address that, if we want to preserve it at all, would
be via the order of the table directory entries: instead of requiring
them to be sorted by tag (as in sfnt and WOFF 1.0), we could require the
order of the directory entries to match the physical order of the tables
in the original font. The decoder would then have to re-sort the
directory by tag names to create a valid sfnt again.

Or do we simply accept that WOFF2 does not preserve table order?

JK