Re: Size-specific font selection in a webfonts environment?

On 22-Oct-13 08:22, John Daggett wrote:

> I'm somewhat skeptical that this sort of
> feature is appropriate for webfonts, since rasterization will vary
> across devices and zooming in and out would produce odd FOUT effects.
> Might make more sense in EPUB contexts where the rasterization might
> be more closely tied to the packaging and a document would embed the
> fonts, making load times irrelevant.

> I'm not sure 'font-size' is the right name for the descriptor, as you
> want to pair a given face with a *device* size rather than the
> computed value of 'font-size'.

I should clarify that, at least so far, the MS size-specific design
selection mechanism targets nominal point size and not ppem raster size.
So zoom operations would not be expected to change the font selection.

As I understand it, at present @font-face would require the
size-specific font to be spec'd by the author for the given size of text
element. This means that the author has to know for what sizes a given
font is intended, and manually implement that information in the CSS. I
am wondering if there is a way in which we can utilise this new font
data downstream from the authoring? Or is it something that should be
automated at the web authoring tool level?

JH