Re: Native browser/CSS support for TTC (raw and/or within WOFF)?

Chris Lilley wrote:

>> Of course there's some caveats: since TTC is "one file" which
>> stores several "subfonts", I believe @font-face might need to be
>> modified somehow so that it allows selection of the subfonts.
>
> Rather than modify @font-face, I suspect the correct approach would
> be to define a fragment identifier syntax (the part of a url after
> the #) that points into a TTC.

Right.  And that fragment syntax is already defined. ;)

http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-fonts/#src-desc

# Similarly, font container formats that can contain more than one
# font must load one and only one of the fonts for a given @font-face
# rule. Fragment identifiers are used to indicate which font to load.
# If a container format lacks a defined fragment identifier scheme,
# implementations should use a simple 1-based indexing scheme (e.g.
# "font-collection#1" for the first font, "font-collection#2" for the
# second font).

That said, I'm not sure I see TTC support as so useful.  Even the
original CJK use case which was for sharing kanji/kana glyphs across
different families with proportional and monospaced Latin glyphs can
be mimicked with font features:

  /* default family */
  @font-face {
    font-family: mincho;
    src: url(mincho.ttf);
  }

  /* variation family */
  @font-face {
    font-family: mincho variation;
    src: url(mincho.ttf);
    font-feature-settings: /* features that enable variation */
  }

In short, TTC is a useful bundling format, not sure it's so useful in
the webfont context.  EPUB user agents might find it more useful just
for the simplicity of packaging.

Cheers,

John Daggett