RE: Proposed agenda for WebFonts WG F2F

Folks,

Thank you for a very productive call last Wednesday and for the comments. Please see below the revised agenda. I suggest that considering we will go on for the whole day wrapping up well into the evening (to be followed by group dinner) - let's have a comfortable start time at 10:00 am PDT (17:00 UTC) on Aug. 22nd, 2013 (to accommodate those who will be arriving either late on Aug. 21st or early Aug. 22nd). The updated agenda is below:

-          Introductions

-          WOFF 2.0 technology demo (based on the original proposal)

-          Review of the WOFF 2.0 Draft Evaluation report (in anticipation that we may actually have it ready before the meeting);

-          Planning of future WOFF 2.0 work items:

a)      Discussion of the compression options to consider (while LZMA was proposed initially, another candidate recommended by the Google compression team has emerged );

b)      Compression specification work and CTS planning (this is the one that will likely require additional resources so please have it discussed with your compression experts, if possible);

c)       Preprocessing spec changes (compared to MTX spec as a baseline), detailed next steps and planning specification work (will need to chose an editor);

d)      Suggestion - revisit the discussion of compression efficiency (per-table vs. per-font) and HTTP byte-range support (once we are settled with the compression choices we need to evaluate whether compressing a font as a single block would improve compression ratios, compression / decompression timing, etc.).

-          Font MIME type discussion: currently, 'application/font-woff' and 'application/font-sfnt' are defined as part of the 'application' tree, 'eot' is defined as vendor-specific, etc. Let's discuss if it is possible to improve the situation by registering a new top-level 'font' type and having all font-related MIME types defined as part of the new 'font/...' tree.

-          Planning of next meetings (possible follow up at ATypI, TPAC?)

-          Discussion of Adam Twardoch's OFF/X proposal [1-3]:

a)      Summary discussion of the proposal (Adam?);

b)      Feasibility / level of interest / obstacles - this work item is out of scope of the WG according to the existing charter, but it is possible to update and get a new approval vote for the charter to extend its scope and include new deliverables;

c)       Possible ways to implement - a normative "OFF webfont profile" vs. "W3C WebFonts Implementation Guidelines" vs. informative "OFF webfonts best practices" (selection of the implementation target may have an effect on the choice of the venue: ISO, W3C, etc.).

-          AOB

We will use the IRC [4] to scribe minutes , please reply to this email if anyone is planning to participate remotely and needs a phone bridge to be made available (and please specify time interval for which you plan to join the discussion).

If there are any comments/suggestions, please send them via email.

Thank you,
Vlad

P.S. I will be traveling tomorrow and on Wednesday and will have a limited sporadic access to my email - apologies if my responses will be delayed.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webfonts-wg/2013Jun/0023.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webfonts-wg/2013Jun/0025.html
[3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webfonts-wg/2013Jun/0024.html

[4] IRC channel is #webfonts, irc://irc.w3.org:6665/webfonts

or http://irc.w3.org/?channels=webfonts