RE: TPAC 2012

John, you're right. There have been no visible activity on this since June but the W3C team have been working on the draft new charter: http://www.w3.org/2012/05/WebFonts/draft-charter.html
It is expected to be sent out soon for AC review.

The WebFonts WG meeting is planned to happen at TPAC 2012 on Thursday and Friday of that week (Nov. 1-2). I expect that by that time (hopefully much sooner) the charter will be approved and we will be able to have an in-depth discussion of the proposed technical solution http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-font/2012JanMar/0002.html

Thank you,
Vlad