Re: ACTION-77: Propose at-risk wording

I don't think it makes sense to use "at risk" for this. "At risk" is normally used for features that are desirable, but that the WG is not sure will be implemented quickly and widely enough to advance.

In this case, it seems to me we have consensus that the spec should change, specifically that we should use FO instead of CORS and that any same-origin restrictions should be defined at the CSS level

I object to advancing to CR when the WG has consensus that the spec should be changed, and to using the "at risk" mechanism to push planned changes past CR rather than for its intended purpose.

Furthermore, it seems to me that no implementors intend to implement same-origin restrictions as written, applying to WOFF only. Known major implementations intend to either use CORS for @font-face, or not apply same-origin restrictions at all.

Advancing a spec that does not reflect the wishes of the WG nor the plans of any implementor does the whole community a disservice. Therefore I object to such advancement.

If the WG chooses to advance to CR nonetheless, then I will make this a Formal Objection.

Removing mention of CORS and same-origin restrictions from the WOFF spec, or turning them into a non-normative note, indicating the planned work in CSS3 Fonts, would resolve my objections.

Regards,
Maciej