RE: css3-fonts: should not dictate usage policy with respect to origin

Glenn,

You’ve formally objected before making any substantial attempt to present a coherent point of view and obtain a group consensus for or against your preferred course of action. Negotiating after preemptively slamming the biggest door in the room is no easier than building consensus under threat. Attempting both at the same time was a significant tactical blunder on your part. Your mistake.

"If a user agent that makes normative use of this specification includes a same-origin policy, then that policy, and the mechanisms it uses to enforce that policy should apply to the loading of fonts via the @font-face mechanism."

In general, this proposal is somewhat nonsensical since neither css3-fonts nor WOFF ever suggested the same-origin policy should apply to anything but fonts loaded by @font-face. As such, it only reiterates the current requirement stated in the css3-fonts ED:

User agents must implement a same-origin restriction when loading fonts via the @font-face mechanism. [1]

Second, it has been pointed out that making this behavior optional is what we already have in the marketplace: some browsers do this, some do not. The aim of this WG is to resolve this incompatibility. As such, proposals to entrench the problem are understandably of little interest. The real world demonstrates nothing needs to be done to achieve that outcome !

"move same-origin requirements from WOFF and CSS3-FONTS to HTML5 or another definition of a UA that actually performs access functions"

You have to explain how moving the problem around fixes or improves anything. Since you raised issues of separation of concerns and architectural soundness, you also have to argue why this belongs to HTML more than it does in css3-fonts, the runtime interoperability of which is fundamentally impacted by whether or not a UA does or doesn’t load a specified font resource.

Be that as it may, no css3-fonts FO you file could automatically result in this requirement moving to HTML5 without the HTML WG’s approval, as far as I know. No one here stops you from proposing this to the HTML WG. Until you do so and get a response, this suggestion is entirely theoretical.

"If the use of WOFF occurs in a context where same origin access constraints are *already* present/supported, then that mechanism *must* be used to limit access to WOFF fonts; otherwise, such a mechanism *should* be provided for such use."

This is really a variation on the first one i.e. making what you don’t want optional so you don’t have to care about it.

"We believe the correct course for both of these specs is to NOT specify *any* mandatory requirements related to access control, and to leave that up to the definers of UA specs, such as HTML5. However, in the interest of compromise, we are willing to drop the objection if the language is changed to require same-origin only in the case that the UA already requires it (due to other requirements)."

As you point out, this is a reiteration.

It’s clear you believe those to be more than variations on the same theme. On the receiving end and for my part, not really.
Regarding:

  *   why is it unacceptable to define these requirements solely in HTML5 or another (new) UA specification?
  *   why is it unacceptable to allow existing UAs that do not implement same origin to choose to not implement same origin except to merely be compliant with a mandatory same origin requirement that applies *only* to @font-face fetches?
The first one of these has been addressed multiple times. To name but two:

1.       Whether this can be required in HTML5 is not up to this WG or the CSSWG but the HTML WG. You’re asking the wrong group.

2.       The burden is on you to establish why it would be better to move this requirement elsewhere vs. specifying it where it matters most. As this behavior has a very direct impact on @font-face interop you must explain why we – this WG, the CSS WG, implementors, authors etc – are better off moving it away from css3-fonts. You’ve been asked several times why having css3-fonts implementations differ at runtime based on their level of HTML5 support was helpful. No substantive answer that I could find.

The second question is both quite puzzling and very interesting. The proposal, all along, has been to scope the same-origin restriction requirement to those requests originating from the src descriptor of @font-face rules [1]. Nothing more.  There *never* was any expectation that same-origin would apply outside this context. So you’re asking why our own plan and draft are unacceptable!? I’m cautiously hoping this means you’ve misunderstood the actual scope of this feature all along but that also seems far too easy. It’d be great though.

[1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-fonts/#same-origin-restriction