Re: css3-fonts: should not dictate usage policy with respect to origin

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 02:55:38 +0900, John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com> wrote:

> I'm broadly in agreement with this approach. My preference is for
>
> a) the From-Origin header to be formally drafted and proposed, and to
> find an appropriate home in W3C recommendations, and
>
> b) for this to be normatively referenced in the 'Webfont Conformance
> Specification'.
>
> Our concern at the moment is that we don't want to remove all reference
> to same origin mechanisms from draft webfonts documents while they
> remain uncovered elsewhere, because we have good reason to suppose that
> this will shake confidence in the WOFF model among some stakeholders.
> Many font vendors have begun licensing fonts in the WOFF format on the
> reasonable assumption, after two years, that some form of same origin
> restriction will apply to them.
>
> I suspect that drafting the chartered 'Webfont Conformance
> Specification' will be a priority for the WG now.

I agree this is probably the way to go. There is only an editor's draft so
far for the From-Origin header, but that's already better than the blog
entry you and I pointed to earlier.

http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/from-origin/raw-file/tip/Overview.html

    - Florian