Re: css3-fonts: should not dictate usage policy with respect to origin

From: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 18:34:02 -0600
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: Tab Atkins <tabatkins@google.com>, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>, John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>, John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>, Vladimir Levantovsky <Vladimir.Levantovsky@monotypeimaging.com>, "liam@w3.org" <liam@w3.org>, StyleBeyondthePunchedCard <www-style@w3.org>, "public-webfonts-wg@w3.org" <public-webfonts-wg@w3.org>, "www-font@w3.org" <www-font@w3.org>, "Martin J." <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>, Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
Let me ponder this new information (to me) on the motivation for SOR on
fonts. I now see the source of the backlash against exceptions in the spec,
as well as the argument for specifying this in css3-fonts and woff. Too bad
I didn't have this background information earlier. I'll get back to the
group in a few days about whether we will be able to drop our FO. Note that
even if we drop it, I fully expect some external specs to explicitly remove
(willfully override/ignore) the SOR requirement when making use of
css3-fonts and woff. But there isn't anything the W3C can do about that.

G.