Re: Thoughts on font linking and embedding

From: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 11:57:54 +0800
Cc: "public-webfonts-wg@w3.org Group" <public-webfonts-wg@w3.org>
To: "Levantovsky, Vladimir" <Vladimir.Levantovsky@MonotypeImaging.com>
I guess the point to be made about piracy of fonts and the same origin restriction is this.

If I write a page that *embeds* a font on your site, I might be able to persuade myself that *I* didn't steal it, since I never even downloaded it. But if I have to download and re-host it, because that site has a same-origin restriction, I don't have this (admittedly small) fig leaf to hide behind.

David Singer