W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-webfonts-wg@w3.org > September 2010

Conference call minutes - Sep. 29th

From: Levantovsky, Vladimir <Vladimir.Levantovsky@MonotypeImaging.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 17:15:54 -0400
To: "public-webfonts-wg@w3.org" <public-webfonts-wg@w3.org>
Message-ID: <7534F85A589E654EB1E44E5CFDC19E3D049DD3140A@wob-email-01.agfamonotype.org>
http://www.w3.org/2010/09/29-webfonts-minutes.html

- DRAFT -
WebFonts Working Group Teleconference
29 Sep 2010

See also: IRC log<http://www.w3.org/2010/09/29-webfonts-irc>

Attendees
Present
ChrisL, cslye, Vlad, sergeym, John, tal, jfkthame, erik, jdaggett, dave
Regrets
Chair
SV_MEETING_CHAIR
Scribe
jdaggett
Contents

 *   Topics<http://www.w3.org/2010/09/29-webfonts-minutes.html#agenda>
    *   woff faq<http://www.w3.org/2010/09/29-webfonts-minutes.html#item01>
    *   actions review<http://www.w3.org/2010/09/29-webfonts-minutes.html#item02>
    *   action-16?<http://www.w3.org/2010/09/29-webfonts-minutes.html#item03>
    *   action-17<http://www.w3.org/2010/09/29-webfonts-minutes.html#item04>
    *   action-18<http://www.w3.org/2010/09/29-webfonts-minutes.html#item05>
    *   action-19<http://www.w3.org/2010/09/29-webfonts-minutes.html#item06>
    *   action-20<http://www.w3.org/2010/09/29-webfonts-minutes.html#item07>
    *   action-21<http://www.w3.org/2010/09/29-webfonts-minutes.html#item08>
    *   action-22<http://www.w3.org/2010/09/29-webfonts-minutes.html#item09>
    *   action-23<http://www.w3.org/2010/09/29-webfonts-minutes.html#item10>
    *   action-24<http://www.w3.org/2010/09/29-webfonts-minutes.html#item11>
    *   action-25<http://www.w3.org/2010/09/29-webfonts-minutes.html#item12>
    *   action-26<http://www.w3.org/2010/09/29-webfonts-minutes.html#item13>
    *   action-27<http://www.w3.org/2010/09/29-webfonts-minutes.html#item14>
    *   tpac<http://www.w3.org/2010/09/29-webfonts-minutes.html#item15>
 *   Summary of Action Items<http://www.w3.org/2010/09/29-webfonts-minutes.html#ActionSummary>

________________________________

<trackbot> Date: 29 September 2010

<cslye> Latest Editor's Draft: http://dev.w3.org/webfonts/WOFF/spec/

<ChrisL> scribenick: jdaggett
woff faq

John: there's been some criticism of the FAQ on Typophile
... my idea was to review the FAQ

<John> http://typophile.com/node/73465

ChrisL: my idea was just to put together something quickly

John: some of the criticism is a bit over the top

<ChrisL> ACTION: john to review woff faw with chris and vlad [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/09/29-webfonts-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Sorry, amibiguous username (more than one match) - john

<trackbot> Try using a different identifier, such as family name or username (eg. jhudson, jdaggett)

<ChrisL> ACTION: john hudson to review woff faw with chris and vlad [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/09/29-webfonts-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Sorry, amibiguous username (more than one match) - john

<trackbot> Try using a different identifier, such as family name or username (eg. jhudson, jdaggett)

<ChrisL> ACTION: jhudson to review woff faw with chris and vlad [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/09/29-webfonts-minutes.html#action03]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-29 - Review woff faw with chris and vlad [on John Hudson - due 2010-10-06].

vlad: we can help with that
actions review

<ChrisL> action-15?

<trackbot> ACTION-15 -- Jonathan Kew to split intro to remove these requirements and insert them into a new section, "normative references" -- due 2010-08-24 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/Fonts/WG/track/actions/15

vlad: describing action

discussion at f2f

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webfonts-wg/2010Aug/0054.html

vlad: for conformance we have to specify something as a font format within the sfnt
... we discussed that off could be one conformance point
... in section 1 we have references to CORS, HTML5
... we discussed that these should be normative refs

John: we probably want to put this on the f2f agenda
... it's a relatively long discussion
action-16?

action-16?

<trackbot> ACTION-16 -- Jonathan Kew to s3 Woff header, first entry, add "must be" -- due 2010-08-24 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/Fonts/WG/track/actions/16

jfkthame: ok, this seems clear enough

ChrisL: it's helpful if you put the action item in the cvs commit
... if possible

jfkthame: well, i haven't been doing things action by action
action-17

action-17?

<trackbot> ACTION-17 -- Jonathan Kew to sec 2, 3rd para - split the wording the wording to have two conformance requirements - extra padding to be rejected on the conversion side and extra padding to be rejected by the UA in the WOFF itself -- due 2010-08-24 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/Fonts/WG/track/actions/17

my proposed wording deals with padding in the WOFF itself

vlad: right, any padding/overlap in the WOFF should be omittied
... i would suggest using data block rather than file block
... data block can apply to any particular part of the woff

i think the wording in the existing spec + my proposed change is enough

vlad: close this action

<ChrisL> close action-17

<trackbot> ACTION-17 Sec 2, 3rd para - split the wording the wording to have two conformance requirements - extra padding to be rejected on the conversion side and extra padding to be rejected by the UA in the WOFF itself closed

<ChrisL> action-18?

<trackbot> ACTION-18 -- Jonathan Kew to s3 Woff header, first entry, actually dont add "must be", instead add "must" to the decriptoin in the following text -- due 2010-08-24 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/Fonts/WG/track/actions/18

<scribe> ACTION: jfkthame: incorporate new propsed change proposed by jdaggett [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/09/29-webfonts-minutes.html#action04]

<trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - jfkthame

<ChrisL> trackbot, status

<scribe> ACTION: Jonathan: incorporate new propsed change proposed by jdaggett [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/09/29-webfonts-minutes.html#action05]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-30 - incorporate new propsed change proposed by jdaggett [on Jonathan Kew - due 2010-10-06].
action-18

vlad: action-18 can be closed

<ChrisL> close action-18

<trackbot> ACTION-18 S3 Woff header, first entry, actually dont add "must be", instead add "must" to the decriptoin in the following text closed

<ChrisL> close action-16

<trackbot> ACTION-16 S3 Woff header, first entry, add "must be" closed
action-19

action-19?

<trackbot> ACTION-19 -- John Daggett to specify exact algorithm for verifying a valid offset for metadata and private data of S3P5 -- due 2010-08-24 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/Fonts/WG/track/actions/19

i think the wording for this will be covered by action-25

jfkthame: yeah, i don't think we need to specify the exact algorithm
... as long as the wording covers it
action-20

<ChrisL> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webfonts-wg/2010Sep/0003.html

ChrisL: has anyone looked at this?
... made up a schema
... but i think my data set for testing is too small

vlad: i looked at the schema but i didn't test it
... looks ok
... i suggest we close this

ChrisL: should we link to this from the spec

<ChrisL> close action-20

<trackbot> ACTION-20 Make a relaxNG schema for the metadata block schema closed

jfkthame: should the spec link to resources or should we gather these in some other place?

ChrisL: in this case, it's just a formalism of the what the spec says

<scribe> ACTION: Jonathan: add a link to the schema proposed by ChrisL [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/09/29-webfonts-minutes.html#action06]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-31 - Add a link to the schema proposed by ChrisL [on Jonathan Kew - due 2010-10-06].
action-21

action-21?

<trackbot> ACTION-21 -- Chris Lilley to check that everything in section 8 correctly references a conformance requirement earlier in the spec. -- due 2010-08-24 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/Fonts/WG/track/actions/21

vlad: let's keep this open for now

Chris did you do anything with this?

vlad: each one of us should review this

ChrisL: i was taking too much vacation
... so not yet
action-22

vlad: this is covered by the latest edits

jfkthame chuckles...

close action-22

<trackbot> ACTION-22 Appendix A should say this section is non-normative closed
action-23

action-23?

<trackbot> ACTION-23 -- Jonathan Kew to verify whether, with zlib, it's possible to have a stream that allows an EOF midstream, so extra data can be padded on mid-stream. -- due 2010-08-24 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/Fonts/WG/track/actions/23

vlad: the private data block can contain extra stuff
... so we shouldn't be overly concerned with additional bad data in the woff
... so i'm not sure we need to worry too much about this particular point

i think i can agree with vlad

jfkthame: yeah, i don't see a concern here

sergeym: well, there are two ways to handle this data, ignore or reject

jfkthame: i'm not there's a problem here, zlib data is an arbitrary stream of data
... there's not eof in there

sergeym: this is easy to check, i was just concerned that the format might have something like an EOF character

i think jfkthame should just verify that zlib has no eof handling
action-24

vlad: this relates to action-15

action-24?

<trackbot> ACTION-24 -- Jonathan Kew to work with Chris L on reformatting footnotes section into normative and non normative references -- due 2010-08-24 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/Fonts/WG/track/actions/24

action-15?

<trackbot> ACTION-15 -- Jonathan Kew to split intro to remove these requirements and insert them into a new section, "normative references" -- due 2010-08-24 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/Fonts/WG/track/actions/15

ChrisL: haven't done anything yet
... will mail jfkthame
action-25

vlad: this is addressed by the mail to the list by jdaggett

jfkthame: seems reasonable

close action-25

<trackbot> ACTION-25 Tighten the description of the private data block. closed
action-26

action-26?

<trackbot> ACTION-26 -- Chris Lilley to section 6, license block: change "The license for the font." to "The licensing information for the font." -- due 2010-08-25 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/Fonts/WG/track/actions/26

ChrisL: hmm, not sure why this is on me...
... this should probably be assigned to jfkthame

jhudson: this should be in the minutes for the LA f2f

jhudson talking about license wording?

vlad: want to avoid confusion about which wording is the actual license

ChrisL: just moved this action to jfkthame
action-27

ChrisL: no test suite yet
... i'll work on setting something up by next week

vlad: as we get closer to CR this gets more important
... so that's all the action items that are open
tpac

ChrisL: not many folks have registered
... there is a cost, it goes way up at some point in october

vlad: as for tpac, we should start collecting agenda items

<ChrisL> list of registrants so far http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35125/TPAC2010reg/registrants#WebF

<ChrisL> form for registering http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35125/TPAC2010reg/

vlad: topics for the group, topics for other groups

jhudson: i think we need to define minimum conformance
... and that crosses over into css3 fonts issues
... css3 fonts implies a certain amount of font support

what does font support mean?

jhudson: css3 fonts is going to need some level of conformance

<ChrisL> i agree with jdagett that there is more overlap in expertise than there is between the actual specifications themselves which are (purposefully) orthogonal

vlad: css3 fonts conformance would require woff fonts

jhudson: so i'm only going to tpac thurs/fri

vlad: let's have a joint session thurs/fri
... any other topics submit to the mailing list

<scribe> ACTION: ChrisL: create a page for possible agenda topics [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/09/29-webfonts-minutes.html#action07]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-32 - Create a page for possible agenda topics [on Chris Lilley - due 2010-10-06].

vlad: lightning talk?
... if you have any ideas, those would be good to hear
... i'll send more info to the list

jhudson: who's organizing that?

vlad: monotype is the main sponsor
... was announced during typecon

vlad talking about font contest

vlad: lots of designs using webfonts
... could be used as a demo for tpac
... just one possible option

isn't erik working on some interesting demos?

ChrisL: lots of good comments about erik's presentation at typecon

erik: probably can't present
... i have a couple interesting demos i'm tinkering with

vlad: thanks for everyone's help with atypi presentation

Summary of Action Items
[NEW] ACTION: ChrisL: create a page for possible agenda topics [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/09/29-webfonts-minutes.html#action07]
[NEW] ACTION: jfkthame: incorporate new propsed change proposed by jdaggett [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/09/29-webfonts-minutes.html#action04]
[NEW] ACTION: jhudson to review woff faw with chris and vlad [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/09/29-webfonts-minutes.html#action03]
[NEW] ACTION: john hudson to review woff faw with chris and vlad [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/09/29-webfonts-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: john to review woff faw with chris and vlad [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/09/29-webfonts-minutes.html#action01]
[NEW] ACTION: Jonathan: incorporate new propsed change proposed by jdaggett [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/09/29-webfonts-minutes.html#action05]
[NEW] ACTION: Jonathan: add a link to the schema proposed by ChrisL [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/09/29-webfonts-minutes.html#action06]

[End of minutes]
Received on Wednesday, 29 September 2010 21:18:42 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Wednesday, 29 September 2010 21:18:43 GMT