Re: "Save Page As"

On Mon, 2010-11-22 at 07:15 -0800, John Hudson wrote:
> [...]

> I wouldn't consider a particular font to be part
> of the *content* of the web page, and the fact that CSS provides for a
> list of fallback fonts is a clear indicator that a particular font is
> not part of the content of the page but is only one possible way of
> *displaying* the page.

On the other hand, for some Web pages, e.g. for First Nations Web sites,
it's extremely unlikely you'll be able to read the pages without the
fonts.  Indeed, in some cases you need the exact font, because of
variations in encodings, although I expect that practice to die out as
Unicode gets more widespread (and gets more complete script coverage).

> Another question: if a web page is saved without the linked font(s)
> being downloaded and stored locally, and the page is looked at while an
> Internet connection is available, a) would the linked fonts be displayed
> correctly? and b) would the same origin restriction cause problems in
> this regard?

For (a) it depends on whether a relative or absolute link was used in
the CSS, and/or whether the browser rewrote the link on saving.

For (b) I am not sure, but suspect "yes".

Best,

Liam