Changes appendix

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 16:37:59 +0100
To: WOFF Working Group <public-webfonts-wg@w3.org>
Hello,

W3C publication rules require a list of changes between each publication of the specification. The First Public Working Draft didn't have one (being the first) so had a commented-out section.

Apart from general convenience to reviewers, one specific use of a changes section is for the patent policy. First Public Working Draft triggers a patent exclusion opportunity. Last Call triggers another, but only for features that were not present in the previous publication.

So, to satisfy the publication rules, we needed a changes appendix.

A diff is complete but clumsy, as it picks up every little markup change, change of line break, paragraph move etc. I made a diff and then summarized this to provide a human-readable change summary; putting the more important changes at the front of the list and the minor ones at the end.

You can see this at:

  http://dev.w3.org/webfonts/WOFF/spec/Overview.html#changes

(I also linked to the diff, at the end of the section). Comments welcome; publication is scheduled for tomorrow.